Latest topics

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!!!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:46 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:45 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:44 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:41 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!
DUST 514 will be Free to Play  I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:40 am by bigyin96

Poll

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am

DUST 514 will be Free to Play

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

DUST 514 will be Free to Play  Empty DUST 514 will be Free to Play

Post  Casamyr on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 am

Eurogamer can megaphone that Dust 514, the exclusive PS3 MMOFPS that will exist within Eve Online, will now be free to download and free to play.

There was going to be a $10 to $20 cover charge for the game on PSN, but that has now been scrapped.

"It was a relatively confusing proposition," executive producer Brandon Laurino explained to Eurogamer, "and we wanted to make it unambiguous that this is a free-to-play game."

CCP intended to convert that original cover charge to in-game Aurum credits for you to spend at the micro-transaction store. "And we probably will still have some kind of pack like that," Laurino added. This will be Starter Pack-like offer, but won't be necessary to play Dust 514.

"It's very important as we take steps into this topic to unambiguously state that it is not a pay to win game," Laurino pressed on. "There is no micro-transaction that you can do that gives you an unfair advantage over someone who hasn't paid anything. It's the classic micro-transaction dynamic of, 'I can pay and get this item,' or, 'I can invest my time and get this item.' But neither of those options will give me an unfair advantage over the other."

Dust 514 Aurum credits can be bought in currency bundles that range from $1, $2 or $10 up to $20, $50 or $100. You'll also be able to earn and use ISK credits, as in Eve Online. ISK credits cannot be bought with real money. AUR credits credits can only be bought with real money. Some items will be exclusive to a currency type, although no examples were given.

Items available include vanity goods to customise appearances with; boosters that save time, such as double skill point (SP) boosters; variants of weapons that aren't necessarily more powerful - "side-grades" that look or play differently; services like character respecs; and lucky dip treasure boxes. "It's what has emerged as best practice," Laurino said.

"We already have hundreds upon hundreds [of micro-transaction items]. We have a cache of nearly a thousand different things at this point," he revealed. "Whether or not we expose them day-one is something we're still sorting out. It's like when you make a TV show: you shoot all the episodes in advance, but you don't put them all out on the first day of airing, right?"

Extra maps don't sound like they'll be among those items.

"It's not the classical, 'We're going to have four maps at launch...' We are covering literally a universe of planets, so there's thousands of different maps and they're all available to everyone who's playing," Laurino revealed.

"There won't be some section of the universe that's blocked off. It's really about what you build on those planets - some of those will be earned, some of those will be paid. Again, none will give an unfair advantage, but may have a unique look, or a certain tweak or side-grade."

The price of items can start as low as "a penny sort of value". How high they can go Laurino wouldn't say - mentioning only the bundled currency packs. But "nothing is off the table" in terms of item price limit and what Sony will allow, we were told. And there's a "gigantic range".

Let's hope there aren't any $10,000 gold coloured scorpions, eh?

Source EuroGamer

In other words, there is no excuse to not download Dust 514 when it becomes available.

Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

DUST 514 will be Free to Play  Empty Re: DUST 514 will be Free to Play

Post  bigyin96 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:03 am

Man! This is awesome news. It is seeming thst the whole free to play thing is becoming the new fade at the moment. I reckon that there is going to be things within the game that your going to be able to buy to make your character better. Im really looking forward to this game and hope it is going to live upto the hype

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:08 am

Yeah, I believe jsut from this article that there are microtransactions, but nothing that you can't earn in game, basically you will just unlock them sooner.

Apparently this is a model that is used in Asian MMO's and they make bucketloads of cash - look what happened when DCUO went free-to-play - it started making shiteloads of cash for Sony, far more than they were making in subs.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Casamyr wrote:ISK credits cannot be bought with real money. AUR credits credits can only be bought with real money. Some items will be exclusive to a currency type, although no examples were given.

That contradicts the whole god damned thing, I'm guessing it's just an error. If AUR credits can only be bought with real money, and some items will be exclusive to a currency type, then that means that some items are exclusive to those who pay real money. I highlighted the only because that is a word that doesn't seem to be in the right place! But fuck me, I did not realise it was going to be F2P. I'm down for this game, all the way! It officially has my support =P
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 pm

CCP have said that that you can pay real money for AUR Credits to unlock things sooner or give boosts to your training. they expressly said that there is nothing that is purchased with real world money that you cannot buy, eventually, with ingame cash,

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:22 am

That's what I was hoping. But if you follow the logic of the quote I just posted it explicitly states that AUR is only attainable by real money and that there are items that are currency-exclusive. I'm assuming that this is just one of those errors in communication?
    Codpeace5
    Codpeace5
    Baron

Post  Codpeace5 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 am

I have done a bit of research on dust and eve,as far as I ca tell it is completely free to download and play with no restrictions but call me pessimistic where are they going to make their money if you can unlock everything through normal play.Are they relying on people's generosity to by the various kits. As for the micro transactions they must provide some advantage otherwise what is the motivation for me to spending.
    My concern is that they are using the free thing as a gimmick,draw you in then start putting in little essential packs here and there.If they are going to ask for cash get it dine upfront like any normal transaction.Then everyone knows where they stand and what they are going to get.
    As it stands it all seems at bit wishy washy.

Last edited by Codpeace5 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 pm

The advantage to teh microtransactions is likely to be unlocking things sooner, you will be able to train faster, and so on, and believe me there will be many, many, many players who are too impatient to wait and will simply pay to unlock it sooner. I may purchase some stuff depending on what's there.

We don't really know what exactly these microtransactions will entail but that's just my guess, though tomorrow the big EVE fanfest starts so there may be a whole lot of new info pouring out over the next couple of day.

Codpeace5
    Codpeace5
    Baron

Post  Codpeace5 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:09 pm

I can see your point cas human nature I suppose,but not to nit pick isn,t that called boosting.
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Dunno Cod. Is it boostng when the dev's are making it possible for a cost, rather than someone finding an exploit in the game?

Until we know for sure, we can only speculate based on the somewhat cryptic words the developers have said. Hopefully the next few days will have a huge amount of info coming.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 am

It is boosting, yes. But people with money are entitled to that shit, unfortunately. At least we get the game for free.

As I see it, paying for things you can otherwise unlock just makes the game less fun to play, so why would you need to anyway? If people want to skip the earning part, then so be it. We can still enjoy ourselves and at the end of the day, you can't buy skill!
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:01 am

That's a great reply Phil and somethinng I totally agree with. Skill and patience is so much more rewarding than having to buy your way through to the skills you require.

I am hopeng that each corporation gains a Warbarge and MCC as a starting gift. I'm also hoping that they continue with the insurance feature for EVE. I understand that the way to win the battle is to destroy your opponents MCC, which could well cost hundreds of thousands of ISK, if not millions. I imagine the economy system will be similar where the Corporation takes a cut of each merc's pay into it's coffers. In this case, the Corp (well, our unnamed corp), will be purchasing most of the hardware for Corp members to use (ie dropships, fighters, tanks, buggies and the like. That is my plan anyway.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:12 am

Does this mean we'll require financial planning? Shotgun not me! =D
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:14 am

Someone will need to, and I am quite happy to take that on as Clan leader.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:53 am

Casamyr wrote:Someone will need to, and I am quite happy to take that on as Clan leader.

Hats off to the Cap'n, gents.
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Post  bigyin96 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:14 am

Casamyr wrote:Someone will need to, and I am quite happy to take that on as Clan leader.

I dont have a problem been a squad leader or whatever there called in DUST

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:19 am

My thoughts on this is that current TLCG members will have high ranking positions and first dibs on any new equipment that the clan purchases, meaning that new recruits will start in on the ground floor as grunts and will need to earn the right to use Clan purchased vehicles. Of course, I won't stop people from using their own.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:20 am

If it's anything like MAG or BF3 then the Squad Leader rules will just be a spur-of-the-moment title. But that doesn't mean we can't have specific people to fill that role!

I think that sounds like an awesome idea Cas, tough but fair =D
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Post  bigyin96 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 am

So as a clan in the game you earn money and purchase vehicles and equipment as a group?

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:24 am

I expect there will be a lot of MAG comparisons here, but again, if it is anything like EVE Leader and officers in Corp. hold a lot of power and have access to all parts of the Corp, including the virtual bank account. ANd people have be robbed blind in EVE.

There are things like the MCC which costs around 11 million ISK (I think from the Vid) and also the Warbarge that moves from planet to planet, so only a very few will have access to pieces of equipment like this, especially since the goal of winning the ground war is to destroy the opposing MCC. I'm seriously hoping there is insurance on it, like in EVE.

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:27 am

I suspect so. This is all based on my EVE experiences. When you join a Corp. They usually set a tax rate, that means whenever you earn ISK a % goes into the corps bank account and helps it to grow bigger and better.

I can only assume this will be the case, which means the Corp will be able to purchase expensive items, rather than the player himself having to do it.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:45 am

I don't know how close it will be to EVE to be honest, as it is definitely going to be dumbed down and more accessible to the typical 'user' XD

And surely the MCCs would be something that the people who hire you will provide? =S Or is that just me...
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:24 am

I wouldn't be so sure of that Phil, by all accounts DUST will be run very similar to EVE, with the idea, that EVE corps will begin building and selling Vehicles and equipment to DUST players and so forth. I think the DUST will be as deep as EVE for players who wish it to be, but also a great fun game for someone to drop into and out of as well.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:24 pm

I just think for a free-to-play game they wouldn't want to go -that- deep. Might just be me XD
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:51 am

Gosh, you are cynical Phil tongue. I think this game will be deeper than we all think. Remember, even though this is a free-to-play game, it has a very strong and proven business model that is very, very successful.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:30 pm