Latest topics

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!!!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:46 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:45 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:44 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:41 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:40 am by bigyin96

Poll

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning Empty Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning

Post  Casamyr on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 am

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning Koa_reckoning_ps3_rpboxart_160w

Also on: PC, X360
    Genre: First-Person RPG
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Developer: Big Huge Games

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world action role-playing game set in Amalur, a mysterious and magical new fantasy world created by New York Times bestselling author R. A. Salvatore. Brought to life visually through the trademark style of renowned artist and Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, Reckoning brings a new level of visual style and visceral action combat to the RPG genre. The game is being developed under the leadership of Ken Rolston, lead designer of the critically acclaimed RPGs Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Reckoning combines intense third-person action combat with deep exploration, expansive character development and customization, and immersive storytelling in an extraordinarily detailed fantasy universe. Gamers begin their journey when they miraculously rise from the dead, wielding dangerous new magic capable of changing the very Fate of Amalur. Thrust into a brutal war between multiple races, factions, and alliances, players vie for the secrets of their immortality and the ancient evil that threatens to consume the world.

The lore of Kingdoms of Amalur spans an epic course of 10,000 years of history created by R. A. Salvatore. Reckoning captures a moment in this history, the tale of a singular hero capable of reshaping the fate of the world of Amalur. Every building, tree, and creature has a clear and defined history within this immersive world filled with extraordinary landscapes, mysterious cities, colorful characters, and fantastic creatures inspired by the legendary art style of Todd McFarlane.

Features:

•Intense Action Combat in an RPG – Create your own unique combat style, choosing from among nine different melee weapon classes and dozens of devastating spells in Reckoning's unique Action Magic combat system. Eradicate your enemies in grand fight sequences featuring brutal Fateshift finishing moves that will redefine visceral RPG combat.
    •Open World RPG Design Led by Ken Rolston – Play your way through 60+ hours of riveting storyline, diverse side quests, and open-world exploration created by RPG gurus Ken Rolston (Lead Designer, Morrowind, Oblivion), Creative Director Mark Nelson (Lead Designer, Shivering Isles; Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3), and Lead Designer Ian Frazier (Titan Quest).
    •Rich Fiction and Storytelling by R.A. Salvatore – Reckoning is set in the Kingdoms of Amalur universe and its 10,000 years of deep fiction created by 22-time New York Times bestselling author R.A. Salvatore.
    •Art and Action Directed by Todd McFarlane – Brought to life through the direction of renowned Spider-Man artist Todd McFarlane, creator of Spawn and Founder of Image Comics, Reckoning brings you intense action combat, hordes of gruesome enemies, and beautifully realized fantasy vistas.
    •Choose Your Destiny – Create your character from dozens of unique skills and abilities, and further customize it as Reckoning's re­volutionary new Destiny System unlocks powerful new Destinies based on how you choose to play. Millions of combinations of weapons and armor allow you complete the character that looks and plays the way you've always hoped.

There is a demo for this due for release this week on the PSN. By all accounts from what I have read it is shaping up to be a Skyrim killer with deeper customisation, a far stronger combat system and an awesomely rich, compelling story.

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning Kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-20111208114540620_640w
    Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning Kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-20111202101358110_640w
    Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning Kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-20110715110756665_640w

Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?
    PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning Empty Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning

Post  PhilipOmnis on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:15 am

This sounds like it can either be freakin' awesome or a major flop. I s'pose the demo will give us a better idea =3
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:41 am

I've heard nothing but awesome stuff about it so far, but I will hold on until I play the demo to make a last judgement before i go and slap $120 down on it.

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 am

OKay. I played teh demo of this last night, and was pretty impressed at the depth in the game.

Graphics
    It certainly isn't skyrim/Uncharted quality graphics, but it was nice to see a brightly coloured game fro a change to come away from all the greys and browns of recent years. As a demo, I didn't expect it to be perfect and from all accounts it is an old code that broke away some time ago to be prepped as a demo and so I expected bugs and I really only encountered 1 - a bit of screen tearing when you exited a particular store in the first town.

Gameplay
    In a word, fun. The combat mechanics were tight. Really simple to pick up but look to have a huge amount of depth to it. square is your main weapon, triangle you secondary and they can be chained together to make combos. I was playing around as a thief/mage - I had dual daggers as a primary weapona and a frost secpter as a secondary, freeze/slow your enemies with the secpter then go to town with the daggers. Fun. circle is dodge jsut flick the left stick in a direction and hit circle and you'll role out of the way.

R1 + a face button is you magic/ability system and again can be added into your combos. I had a rogue ability that threw knives into teh face of close enemies, which either gave me the opportunity to roll out of harms way or take them out.

L1 or L2 (sorry can't remember which brings up your shield if equiped. If you parry at the right time, you can stagger your opponent to deal extra damage or get a few attacks in with them hitting you.

R2 ( I think, maybe L2) is your stealth meaning you can sneak up behind enemies and do massive damage to them. I snuck up behind a bear who was terrorising a gnome and stabbed it in the back to save the gnome. I then killed said gnome because
    Spoiler:
    he was selling information that lead to the attack on Allestar at the start of the game

There is another ability that is triggered during combat. As you attack a meter fills up called Fate. When full you can press L1+R1 and time slows down allowing you to attack using fate. Sometimes in this mode a quick-time event can occur when an enemy is nearly killed and if you manage to pull it off, you will gain extra xp.

The game looks to have a very cool mix and match armour system to cutomise your character any way you like. My Thief/Mage was waring mostly armour that increased his critical damage, plus some gloves that generated his Magic faster. Armour can have slots to add gems which will probably increase stats. I never found a Sagecraft table to try it out. Reminds me a lot of Diablo/Titan Quest in that regard. Not surprising since one of the titan quest devs was in charge of KoA.

There is a very rich crafting system for potions (collect reagents, experiment with them at Alchemy tables and see what happens. everything will make a potion. I made lots of unstable ones - could have a good or a bad effect, and discovered how tomake minor healing potions), armour/weapons (you can salvage weapons for parts to make new ones. I stopped selling weapons and broke them down into components to see what I could make) and gems (You collect shards, which can be combined into gems).

KoA is kind of classless game, in that you can play it any way you like. There are 3 areas of expertise called Might, Sorcery, and Rogue (I think) and you can spent your points any way you see fit, depending on how you want to play. As well as this, you have destinies which give you added benefits which are based on the 3 areas of expertise. It's quite a cool system.

I'll probably try it again as a pure fighter - some of the weapons (like hammers) were really cool and I want to have a go at that.

Sound
    The sound was nice. It was a demo, so there were a few moments where the sound didn't match the animations, but I'll expect that this will be fixed by release on Feb 10.

Final Thoughts
    I spent nearly 3 hours playing the demo last night and barely left the first area. I couldn't believe that the time went so quick, and in my opinion that is the sign of a good game, when you get dragged into the world and you emerge several hours later to have something to eat. It has lots of Elder Scrolls elements to it, the world is rich (thanks R.A. Salvatore), gameplay and combat is enjoyable.

This will be my first purchase of 2012.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 am

Thanks for your review of the game, you've certainly sold it well! XD I will download this demo for sure! You know how to dissect certain aspects! =P
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:21 am

I'll do one for the Starhawk Beta tomorrow I think.

bascially if you like rich, deep rpgs then get KoA, if not, give it a try anyway. you might be pleasantly surprised.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:33 am

PSN Store is down so I can't download it, derp. Excited to try this demo now.
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Post  bigyin96 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:42 pm

So i played the demo. The combat system is very smooth and easy to use. Not really bothered about the alchemy/magic side of it. Enjoyed the main character interactions and talk. But i was not bothered at all to go around an talk to everyone. That got very boring very quickly for me. Overall not a bad game. Like the graphical styling of the game. Game mechanics are good but its just not for me and i doubt ill be picking it up anytime soon

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:57 pm

I like some of the more diversified 'alchemy' features appearing now, giving us something else to do XD I always loved the way you could give your weapons custom features in FFX, added a lot of replay-ability. That said I wasn't sure about the level system so I think I'll wait 'till it gets a little cheaper.
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Post  bigyin96 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Ive never been an RPG guy but from cas saying it had a good combat system/style like god of war i thought i would give it a try but to not avail not for me Razz

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:55 pm

JUst like you were saying the other day, mate. We're all different with different interests. I'm finding it a fun game. I'm liking crafting my own weapons and gems to socket into them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:22 am