The League of Casual Gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!!!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:46 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:45 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:44 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:41 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!
Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:40 am by bigyin96

Poll

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 254 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:06 am

2 posters

Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review Empty Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review

Post  Casamyr Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 pm

In short, freaking fun.

Syndicate is a real fun co-op game where to succeed you need to utilize your chip abilities well in order to succeed, but more on that later. Honestly, I really feel for you Aussie guys, you are going to miss out on one of the the more interesting shooters of the year because of a poor certification system that is being blocked by idiots.

If you wanted to know how I was playing this a day early, I downloaded it off the American Store (yes I have a US account as well).

Graphics
    It's not bad, character models look cool, with black trench coats billowing out. The maps have a nice futuristic look to them and for a demo I couldn't fault there - there was no pop that I saw. The game only crashed once, just as I was starting - it's not the prettiest game, but looks not too bad.

Game play

The demo (about 700meg) is the first co-op mission. I am unsure if it is the full mission though. You are tasked with assassinating a General Gambon, but first you must breach their base and fight your way to him. It follows the same kind of format as many shooters

L1 = Zoom, R1 = fire

Where is differs is the Dart Chip system. By pressing R2 it brings up the Dart Overlay which highlights enemies in red and any objects that can be breached.

L2 is your breach button. You can have 3 different breach effects mapped to the d-pad - left, up, right. In the demo there are 4 breach effects - shield (creates a shield around your team to protect from incoming damage), squad heal (heals up to 50% health of all members), damage link (increases damage), blast (I think) (causes an enemies gun to explode. Breaches have a recharge time as well.

I've being playing with a defensive type and using shield and squad heal to keep my team up and moving forward.

The Ai is okay, they take cover, try to flank you, take higher ground and can be generally annoying, some enemies though need their armour breached before they can take damage, then once they go down, you can extract their chip for extra XP. Real fun. There are also context based melee take downs which are awesome in the middle of combat.

Where it gets interesting is how you get better - there are 3 ways that you improve - your Dart chip, Weapons Reseach, or Application Research. As you play you earn tokens, the harder the level the higher number of tokens.
    Weapon tokens are used to unlock new blueprints to upgrade your weapons - my TAR rifle, now has a red-dot sight, a computer controlled trigger, plus I'm waiting on the research to unlock extended mags while I save up tokens to start research on a Grenade Launcher.

That's the cool part. Once you've brought the blueprint, you need to research it. Research points are earned while you play. I haven't quite figured out how they are earned though.

Application tokens are only earned once per difficulty level and are used to improve your chip abilities - since I am working on a more defensive role, I've purchased the next tier upgrades to Sqd Heal and Shield and am waiting on the research to come through. I suspect the points for this might be tied into how often you used them.

The Dart chip however, you only earn a new point every level, so you need to spend it wisely. There are 4 tiers each with 4 abilities. So far I've unlocked the tier 2 abilities and I think I might get the increased Breach Speed at next level. Sometimes it's a bit slow - especially when trying to breach the General's liquid reactive armour.

I think there will be mega loads of customization here, though you can't customer the avatar, they are preset, but does look like there will clan support as well.

Overall Impressions
    Great game so far. I'm really looking to see what the single player is like and that hopefully the mission is a little longer. You can blitz through it in maybe 10 minutes, if not less if you know what you are doing and work well together.

This'll be a definite get for me and again, I really feel sorry for you Aussie boys and gals who will miss out of this game. If you have a US account, download it and have a look...well, actually you may not want to, since you could be a bit depressed about not being able to play the full game. Me....I'm gonna do another Hostile Takeover because it was fun.

bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review Empty Re: Cas' Syndicate Co-op Demo review

Post  bigyin96 Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 pm

So is the demo only out for the US at the moment?

Edit: its not on psn over in the UK. Was so looking forward to playing it
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 pm

Should be out sometime today, whenever PSN updates for EU Big.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm