Latest topics

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!!!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:46 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:45 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:44 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:41 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!
Last of Us Storyline In Detail I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:40 am by bigyin96

Poll

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am

Last of Us Storyline In Detail

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Last of Us Storyline In Detail Empty Last of Us Storyline In Detail

Post  Casamyr on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:59 am

The story takes place 20 years after this apocalyptic event happens. Society is breaking down as a result of a deadly virus. Though the government is falling apart, the military has created quarantine zones that act as sparse safe havens for uninfected survivors. Even the quarantine zones begin to fall apart over time, however, as supplies run low, people start losing their minds, and the infected start infiltrating them, whether intentionally or otherwise.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The story picks up in one of the last remaining quarantine zones, martial law rules the day, and any infraction -- even minor ones -- result in immediate execution. The quarantined city the game begins in is split up into various, heavily-guarded sections, and scanning for the infected happens constantly. If you scan positive for infection you're taken off to the side and euthanized.

Joel is described as being in his 40's, Joel knows what the world looked like before it was devastated. Over time, he's begun to become less bound by morality and more bound by doing whatever's necessary to survive. What he wouldn't do in the past is almost a daily occurrence at this point

A "black market" within the quarantine zone is what Joel calls home. And while there, he's tasked with a job. While he usually deals in "contraband," such as illicit drugs, illegal weapons and more, this job requires him to "smuggle" a young girl out of the city. That young girl is Ellie, who we were first introduced to when the game was revealed for the first time with that beautiful trailer. Why is she being smuggled out is not been revealed by Naughty Dog

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

All Ellie knows is this one quarantine zone. Having been born years after the devastation begins, she has no idea what the real world was like. She lives in a military-run orphanage within the confines of the quarantine zone, and has great interest in media from before the fall, such as comic books and music. The producers allude to the fact that the trouble she often gets into at the orphanage hastens the need for her to leave the city.

The thing is, when he and Ellie leave the city, things go badly. Joel is caught with Ellie outside of the city, and worse yet, it seems he'll be unable to return, as he's now wanted by the military. Having made a solemn oath to a friend within the city that he'd look after and protect Ellie, the two move on outside of the city as a team. Joel knows someone outside of the confines of the quarantine zone and looks initially to unload Ellie so he can move on alone.

Being a Naughty Dog story, things aren't always what they seem.

Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?
    PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Last of Us Storyline In Detail Empty Re: Last of Us Storyline In Detail

Post  PhilipOmnis on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm not going to state my speculations as unfortunately it does seem a bit predictable, but then they could of course throw a curve ball. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the game-play pans out, it will definitely be the decider of whether or not I purchase it! Cheers for the thread =D
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Post  bigyin96 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Interesting storyline. No doubt you all can see the slight similarity to I Am Legend but all in all in looking forward to see what direction they go with the game andhow its all going to look.

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:10 am

I must admit that Naughty Dog are kings of taking something predictable and turning it into something else.

My one fear is that Joel will be a Drake clone - they both look to have similar backgrounds. I'm hoping his personality is very different to Drake.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:38 am

Casamyr wrote:I must admit that Naughty Dog are kings of taking something predictable and turning it into something else.

My one fear is that Joel will be a Drake clone - they both look to have similar backgrounds. I'm hoping his personality is very different to Drake.

Well I'm sure it'd be interesting to see Drake in that situation Wink

Still though, I think we can safely assume other than being a kick-ass male protagonist they won't fall for that pitfall.
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 am

The really interesting things about the world of Last of Us is that it is set in the same universe as Uncharted.

In UC3, in the first level in England, there is a newspaper article on the bar that talks about a Fungus outbreak that has scientists baffled. So where the Uncharted Crew will fit into this story will be interesting, though drake'll be at least 60 when this game is set.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:55 am

Casamyr wrote:The really interesting things about the world of Last of Us is that it is set in the same universe as Uncharted.

In UC3, in the first level in England, there is a newspaper article on the bar that talks about a Fungus outbreak that has scientists baffled. So where the Uncharted Crew will fit into this story will be interesting, though drake'll be at least 60 when this game is set.

It may not be in the interest of fitting in at all. Many developers just prefer to set their games in one universe and not come out with the Final Fantasy effect, where every game is completely irrelevant.

That said, it does give them the flexibility to include characters of relevance and maybe even to (as you were suggesting) connect dots between storylines.
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:59 am

I would bet, that there'll be some Uncharted reference somewhere in The Last of Us, but what kind of reference still remains to be seen.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Casamyr wrote:I would bet, that there'll be some Uncharted reference somewhere in The Last of Us, but what kind of reference still remains to be seen.

I hope it's not a pivotal link, else I'll need to pick up UC3 XD
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Post  bigyin96 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Casamyr wrote:I would bet, that there'll be some Uncharted reference somewhere in The Last of Us, but what kind of reference still remains to be seen.

win knows well have to wait and see. Can't wait to see proper game play Very Happy

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Yah, me too biggy. I'm hoping this'll be more open world too, rather than the linear levels of Uncharted. A ND open world game, would be freaking amazing.

bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Post  bigyin96 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:24 pm

I think it will have a linear feel but there will be a more open worldish feel than uncharted was but the survival aspect does jean towards more open world

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:17 am

bigyin96 wrote:I think it will have a linear feel but there will be a more open worldish feel than uncharted was but the survival aspect does jean towards more open world

Open-world would be an incredible thing. I don't know if they could avoid it going stale though, as many do.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:14 pm