Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am

Steam Box?

bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Steam Box? Empty Steam Box?

Post  bigyin96 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Steam Box? Steam_logo

Steam Box: Is Valve Working on a Console?

Could gaming software titan Valve be getting into the hardware business? The makers of iconic games like Half Life and Portal and the creators of the gaming distribution program Steam are reportedly working on a hardware platform they could be announcing as early as this week’s Game Development Conference.

The rumor, reported by The Verge last Friday, puts Valve in an interesting position to shape the next generation of console gaming. The hardware’s presumed heavy integration with Steam would create a console store that Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Store would have a lot of trouble keeping up with. PCWorld Editor Jason Cross actually discussed the advantages Steam has over other game and app stores on a recent episode of the Game On podcast.

The Verge speculates that Valve’s console would feature upgradable hardware that used biometrics in some way along with a proprietary controller that let you swap out components depending on game type. Valve filed a patent for just such a controller last year.

This is all in line with Valve president Gabe Newell’s comments in a recent interview with the PA Report. In the interview Newell confirmed that the company had some exciting plans ahead with biometrics in games, and even confirmed that the company was looking into the hardware space saying simple “well, if we have to sell hardware we will.”

Without any actual confirmation, this is simply remains a rumor. But we may find out what (if anything) Valve has in store soon. Rumor has it that Valve was already setting up meetings about their new console at CES and is planning to reveal the hardware either at this week’s GDC or at E3 this summer. We’ll let you know here at Game On as soon as we hear more.

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Steam Box? Empty Re: Steam Box?

Post  Casamyr on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:00 pm

This wouldn't surprise me, Gabe Newell has been been very vocal in his dislike for the current console generation and the general refusal to release Steam games on consoles. HL2 being a bit of a difference though.

Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?
    [sNs]MorpheusZero
    [sNs]MorpheusZero
    Knight

Post  [sNs]MorpheusZero on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Well technically Steam wouldn't be making any hardware, they are reportedly licensing out the rights for someone else to MAKE the hardware. It's just going to have the STEAM application software supported on it and controller compatibility. So in reality I wouldn't even consider it a console, but a computer system affordable to gamers with the ability to play games with a console-like experience.

It's still cool, but they definently got a long way to go if they play to make ANY impact whatsoever on the market for Sony or Microsoft---or even Nintendo for that matter.
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Post  bigyin96 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:11 am

and from what i heard they have a patent on a controller there developing aswell with interchangable thumb sticks too but we'll have to wait and see

weaselmypleasel
    weaselmypleasel
    Knight

Post  weaselmypleasel on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 am

This vid talks about it. Sounds pretty cool.
    Bowlington
    Bowlington
    Earl

Post  Bowlington on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 am

Is that an Alienware console? If it is it had better be cheap cause it will die within 11 months. Typical Alienware...

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:40 am

Steam already dominate the PC gaming industry so I have a feeling this will be a major flop, as there is no one way to control the entire gaming market, which is something that would occur if this was to pay off. Then again, I've been wrong many times =P All I can say is Steam is a reliable service and of any new consoles to hit the scene this seems like a great place to start.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:04 am