None

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:24 am

Journey Review

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Journey Review Empty Journey Review

Post  Casamyr on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:49 am

Journey is a game released by ThatGameCompany as a PSN exclusive title. It was released this week for PS+ members and will be on sale for everyone else next week (Tues for US/Wed for EU).

My comment for this title is simply amazing. Journey is a simple story of a figure trying to reach the top of mountain and it is breathtaking. For starters, that is the story, there is no bogging down of side quests or anything else to distract you in your journey to the mountain.

In the game there is no dialogue, not even when/if you meet another player in the game, instead your avatars communicate in a sing song ping noise. These pings also release cloth creatures that are hidden around the world. these creatures are invaluable as they help you by recharging your scarf, but more on that later.

The game itself is relatively short, being that it took me about an hour and half to two hours to complete, but wow what a trip. I really wanted to start again and redo it right there and then, but with it being close to midnight I thought i'd better head to bed for work the next day.

Game Play

Journey is an interesting game, there are really only two buttons that are utilized, circle for your ping noise and square (i think) for jump/fly. However, you can only jump once you have acquired the scarf, which you do get very near the beginning of your journey. You scarf allows you to jump to higher points and fly, but it has a limited use and starts very small, so you need to find small glowing glyphs which increase the length of your scarf and allow you to jump to higher points and fly for longer periods of time. Unfortunately, you scarf does recharge either, so you need to find hidden cloth creatures which will come to you when you ping, or failing that find swirling clouds of cloth as they will do the same thing. It sounds kind of odd, but that is the best way to explain this concept.

Journey takes you through different places, from crossing a vast desert (with amazing sand physics), into the depths of some ruins until you reach the snowy slopes of the Mountain you have set out to reach. While the journey for the most part is peaceful and leaves you stunned with colours and gorgeous scenery, there is the occasional creature to avoid - needless to say if it gets you, your scarf gets a lot shorter and will make it harder for you later on.

Journey is a game of two halves. You start out by yourself and is a desolate, lonely world as you wander across the dunes, with no idea what to do or where to go, other than heading towards to the mountain way off in the distance - and it is a truly lonely experience. There is no hand holding here and no instruction of what your buttons do other than the game tells you how to move the game camera around.

However, you may find other Journey goers, also making a pilgrimage to the same mountain and you can join them of their journey. It is such a relief to hear a ping off in the distance and realize you are not alone out there in the world. While there aren't really puzzles or things that need teamwork to solve, it is enjoyable just traveling with somebody else. You also have no idea who you are with, there are no names floating above heads, just another person who looks exactly like you. Once you beat the game, it does actually tell you who you made your journey with. I assumed in my game that I had traveled with 2 other people, but in reality it turned out to be 7.

Finally once you reach the top of the mountain you are sent back to the beginning to start your Journey all over again.

Final Thoughts

Journey is a gorgeous game, that just begs to be played solely for the experience of this surreal and magical world. It is a nice change for the action packed titles that we all play and leaves you with a great feeling of satisfaction of conquering that damn mountain. My recommendation, is to pick up Journey and experience it for yourself, you won't be sorry.

It's a shame that this is the last Sony exclusive game by ThatGameCompany. I believe that they are going to go multiplatform with their next downloadable title and i sincerely hope that PS3 will be the lead console for this and then port of xbox, rather than the other way around.

Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?
    bigyin96
    bigyin96
    Prince

Journey Review Empty Re: Journey Review

Post  bigyin96 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:11 am

Awesome review cas. Are you sure you are in the right job lol.

PhilipOmnis
    Prince

Post  PhilipOmnis on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:25 am

That was freaking quick, I'll have to read it tomorrow but damn man. Expect a 10/10 review of your review =P
    CON5CRYPT
    CON5CRYPT
    Earl

Post  CON5CRYPT on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:59 am

I've seen a little bit of the gameplay for this game, was very different with the character running around the dessert and floating about on the tickets.
    It's always good to see original ideas, especially in the gaming industry.

How much is the game going for?
    Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

Post  Casamyr on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:06 am

ah, it cost me NZ$25 and was worth, every cent.

Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?
    CON5CRYPT
    CON5CRYPT
    Earl

Post  CON5CRYPT on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 am

NZ $25........ So about AUS $0.75?

Hehehehe
    LT
    LT
    Baron

Post  LT on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33 pm