The League of Casual Gamers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest topics

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!!!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:46 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:45 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:44 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:43 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:42 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:41 am by bigyin96

» WE HAVE MOVED!
South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation I_icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 2:40 am by bigyin96

Poll

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 254 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:06 am

South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation

Casamyr
    Casamyr
    Prince

South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation Empty South Australia Tables New Gaming Legislation

Post  Casamyr Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 am

South Australian Attorney-General John Rau is planning to introduce a law that will restrict the sale of MA15+ video games to South Australians over the age of 18.

This is a different approach than Rau's previously expressed intention to remove the MA15+ rating at state level in South Australian altogether if and when an R18+ category was created at a national level.

"Complementary South Australian legislation [on R18+ for games] is likely to be introduced in State Parliament in May," Rau told GameSpot AU.

"However, my long stated position has been to protect children by creating a clearer distinction between games that may be suitable for children and those that are suitable only for adults."

"Therefore, my intention is that the South Australian legislation will prevent the sale of MA15+ games to minors. This move will give parents greater certainty about the appropriateness of games for their children."

A spokesperson from Rau's office has since confirmed with us at IGN AU that details are still being determined and repeated that Rau, "said from the beginning that he wasn't in favour of MA15+."

"What is clear is that South Australian legislation will allow the introduction of an 18+ category," said the spokesperson.

Exactly how the ratings will co-exist and how the South Australian government plans to communicate to South Australian consumers that, in their state, games marked suitable for persons 15 years or over can't be purchased by 15-, 16- or 17-year-olds is presently unclear.

"We're working through that at the moment," said the spokesperson.

If it's approved by the South Australian cabinet the legislation may arrive in parliament as early as next month.

Sourced from IGN

How bizarre. There will be MA15+ rated games in South Australia, but you can't buy them if you are 15, 16 or 17 years old. Why bother with an MA15+ rating then?

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm